Bio-Based Materials and Processes for the Energy & Petrochemical Industry
Organizers: Amir Mahmoudkhani, Locus Bio-Energy; Isamir Martinez, ACS Green Chemistry Institute
Sponsor: ACS Green Chemistry Institute Oilfield Chemistry Roundtable
The oil and gas industry is facing increasing demands to clarify the implications of energy transitions for their operations and business models, and to explain the contributions that they can make to minimize the environmental impact. The challenge for the oil and gas industry is to both engage and adapt to a changing policy and investment landscape, but also to evolve in ways which don’t simply support but contribute and perhaps even lead efforts to decarbonize the energy system. For about two decades, there have been significant efforts to develop new commercial processes to bio-based and renewable as platform molecules. These offer a rich source of novel molecules, which can serve as alternative building blocks in the synthesis of raw materials and intermediates that are currently sourced through petrochemical supply chains.
This session aims to introduce the current advancements in bio-based materials and processes, especially petroleum replacement chemicals from renewable feedstocks or wastes, and identify the challenges in developing these new conversion technologies via biological and/or chemical pathways.
The following topics will be covered in this session:
1) Innovative concepts and solutions for beneficial reuse of carbon dioxide
2) Production of new and advanced bio-based cleaner fuels
3) Novel bio-based processes for production of alternative energy sources
4) Bio-based materials with superior performance to petroleum-derived products
5) Bio-based processes for treatment of oilfield produced water and waste streams
6) Bio-based materials and processes for remediation of oil spills in land and offshore
7) Bio-based materials and processes to reduce or prevent methane emission from oil & gas wells
8) Applications of bio-based materials in exploration and production of oil & gas
9) Bio-based materials to minimize the environmental impacts of oil & gas production and operation
10) Low toxicity, and biodegradable compositions based on renewable materials for drilling and completion applications