2018 Call for Symposia Topics
Please check back frequently for updates
Dates: June 18-20, 2018
Location: Portland, Oregon at the Portland Hilton & Executive Tower
Submission Deadline: October 6, 2017
Notification of acceptance by: November, 2017
The American Chemical Society Green Chemistry Institute (ACS GCI) is pleased to announce that it will hold its 22nd annual scientific meeting June 18-20, 2018 in Portland, Oregon. The Green Chemistry & Engineering (GC&E) Conference Advisory Committee will be issuing a call for symposia soon. Below you can find topics that will likely be included in this call.
The GC&E Advisory Committee requests that all proposals reflect ACS GCI’s mission to advance the implementation of green chemistry and engineering practices across the global chemistry enterprise. The overarching theme of the conference in 2018 will revolve around the “use” phase of the chemical lifecycle.
The committee will be looking for proposals which include perspectives from basic scientists, industrial scientists, business leaders, students, government, NGOs, etc. Proposal submitters should creatively design their sessions to be highly interactive (e.g., facilitate lively discussion; include sufficient time for Q&A, rapid-fire sessions, workshop-based learning, debates, etc.). Attendees should leave sessions with clear ideas for how they can use the information disseminated in the session in their professional careers. Submitters are asked to describe how these outcomes will be achieved in the session and should provide potential speakers and/or topics of presentations.
- How function-based design strategies are being used to make more sustainable chemicals, chemistries and processes
- Success stories in using Design for (recycling, reuse, manufacture, etc.) strategies and methodologies in product design, development and demonstration
- Developing products that reduce waste during the use phase
- Developing products whose use is protective or selectively avoids adverse environmental impacts; e.g., highly targeted crop protection agents, degradable packaging that enhances shelf life, personal care products, etc.)
- Chemistry Education: Development of curricula and curricular materials to infuse green chemistry throughout education (i.e., circular economy, systems thinking, LCA, function-based design, etc.)
- Chemicals, chemistries and processes to enable a circular economy
- Sustainable manufacturing of materials for:
- the built environment (e.g., homes, offices, manufacturing, etc.)
- apparel and footwear
- materials assembly (i.e., automotive, aerospace, etc.)
- Innovative approaches to:
- collaborations between academia and industry
- chemicals policy
- tools for process design and simulation
- green chemistry and engineering metrics / assessment methodologies
Proposals should include the following information:
- A brief statement describing the rationale/need for this topic at the GC&E meeting (500 words or less);
- A description of the practice gaps that will be addressed during the symposium. This description should focus on how addressing these gaps will advance green chemistry and engineering in this area;
- Proposed speakers (with affiliations), anticipated topics of presentations and proposed mix of invited and contributed presentations.
- Plans/methods for creating an interactive environment during the session. Workshops and panel discussions are encouraged.
Please submit your symposia proposal to [email protected] with the subject line “2018 GC&E Symposia Proposal” by October 6, 2017. All symposia submissions will be reviewed by the GC&E Advisory Committee and applicants will be notified of decisions in November, 2017. If you have questions, please contact us at the email address above.
We are looking forward to an exciting event as we bring together a diverse scientific community to advance green chemistry and engineering research, education and sustainable technologies.