The 24th Annual Green Chemistry & Engineering (GC&E) Conference, originally scheduled to take place in Seattle, WA on June 16-18, 2020, is now a free, virtual event due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please see the Virtual Conference page for details about this year’s virtual conference activities.
Students and post-doctoral scholars are encouraged to attend the free annual GC&E Student Workshop taking place on the day before the GC&E Conference starts. This year’s workshop will focus how to assess the sustainability and safety of your chemistry. There will also be plenty of opportunity to network with fellow students and green chemistry leaders throughout the day, including during the provided lunch, as well as a networking reception with green chemistry leaders from industry, academia and non-profits at the end of the day.
A $25 refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot in the workshop. Just make sure to register for the workshop when you complete your Conference registration. Refunds will be issued after the Conference to students who attended the workshop.
What Will You Learn?
Interested in greener approaches but unsure how to assess the sustainability of your research? In this workshop, you will learn:
- How to use the RAMP process for chemical safety and how to perform a job hazard analysis
- How to use green chemistry tools to make greener selections
- How to evaluate greenness using green chemistry metrics
- How to do an overall evaluation: Is it safer, greener? Why, or why not? What are the tradeoffs?
- Kendra Denlinger, Teaching Professor, Xavier University
- David Constable, Science Director, ACS Green Chemistry Institute
- Jenny MacKellar, Program Manager, ACS Green Chemistry Institute
(Subject to change)
Monday, June 15
|9:00 a.m.||Introduction and Activity|
|Introduction – Green chemistry and safety are complementary
Job Hazard Identification
Activity – How do I characterize & identify hazards?
|12:00 p.m.||Lunch and Networking Activity|
|Inherent Safety – A jumping off point for green chemistry
Green Chemistry Tools for Reduction and Elimination
Discussion & Questions
|2:30 p.m.||Managing Risk Discussion & Activity|
|3:30 p.m.||Wrap Up – Is there a clear path forward?
Questions & Discussion
|5:00 p.m.||Networking Reception|